Problems with installing debian 2.2

Hi ! I hope this is the right place to ask about problems with
installing Debian GNU/Linux.

I just bought a Debian GNU/Linux version 2.2, 6 cds, from DataClub Inc.
( http://www.dataclub.fi ). It contains 3 cd binaries and 3 cd sources.
When I start installing debian and boot from cd #1, there's first a
lot of messages about different drivers and programs ( as booting
linux in general ). Right before the installation program starts,
there are multiple messages about modprobe failing. Then the installation
program starts, and I do everything as it suggests. Everything goes
fine. When debian tries to put lilo in master boot record, it says
that it can't be done, so I have always made a boot disk ( I have
tried to install it 4 times by now ). So, it's ok now, and the installa-
tion program tells me to reboot. I reboot, and my machine boots from
floppy disk. It seems that debian has got at least most of the drivers,
etc. correct. Then at some point the computer gives an infinite amount
( keeps putting these messages to screen message after message ) of
error messages like this:

   "kmod:failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt -0000, errno=8"

Now the machine is in some kind of a loop, and there's no way to conti-
nue booting the machine.

My machine is Pentium 200 MMX, 88 MB RAM, 512 MB & 2 GB Hard disks,
CD-ROM, STB Velocity 128 4 MB, SB 64, 56600 Modem, Monitor, Mouse,
Keyboard. I have been using Windows 95 and Red Hat Linux 5.1.

So, this obviously has something to do with the program modprobe,
but it seems odd to me that I can't install the package I just
bought. One possible reason is that there's something wrong with
my CDROM, so it doesn't read the files properly, and another is
that I haven't figured out something during the installation.

Can anyone tell me more about the problem ?