install: pump "operation failed"

I have a pcmcia interface on my laptop and I tried to configure it via
pcmcia. The driver initialized fine. I can configure the interface
manually and it works fine.

When I invoke pump it says "Operation failed". I cannot configure via the
menus. My dhcpd logs show that the laptop did not even request an IP
address.

DHCP services worked fine with other OSes and a prior release of Debian
on the box. Pump also works after rebooting into the new base system.

Another side note: The technical questions for the makers of the pcmcia
interfaces on the system etc etc is really something ugly.