Re: Creation of 2.88MB Boot Images, Auto-Install Comments

Tres Hofmeister <tres@rap.ucar.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> 	I just subscribed to the list yesterday.  I've poked around in
> the archives, but can't find the answers to a couple of questions:
>
>     1. Where is the source code for the boot-floppies stuff to be
>        found?  I can't seem to find it in the normal Debian package
>        source archives.

The 'boot-floppies' package.  The binary package is actually the
source.

Better yet, get it from CVS and be up-to-the-minute.  See the attached
instructions.

>     2. How does one create (under Linux) a 2.88MB boot image suitable
>        for use with an El Torito format bootable CD?  The last time
>        I did this I used a Windows utility.  I figure this might be
>        answered if I found the answer to number 1...

I'm not sure -- I don't work on any of that.  You could ask
debian-cd@lists.debian.org.  But I'm pretty sure the standard 2.88
boot image made by 'make release' in the bf sources is adequate (?).

> 	The current thread on automated installations is interesting.
> I've got a locally-developed bootable Debian quick-install CD that I'm
> in the process of updating for potato.  I'd like to make it a little
> more flexible, too.  At the moment, in mostly-automatic mode, it just
> asks for host name, asks to select video and monitor types from short
> lists based on what we normally purchase here, then runs.  The script
> handles partitioning and formatting the drive using defaults, unpacks
> a tarball built on an example Debian system, then handles tweaking
> for the local configuration.  It makes quite a few assumptions about
> the hardware.  A typical install on a modern machine takes about 15
> minutes, and is non-interactive after the first few questions.

Yeah, you and about 5 other folks at least have this.

> 	It would be wonderful to see something like this available as
> a standard tool in woody!

Yup.