Re: redesigning the debian installer

> On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 09:07:09PM +0200, Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:
>
> > I would like to have an initial menu with three options:
> >
> > 	1. configuration
> > 	2. installation
> > 	3. auto-installation
>
> I suggest for an unattended installation that (3) not necessarily be
> menu-driven, because we need to have complete non-interactivity from
> power-on to production mode.  It makes little sense to have one
> required keypress when you can get away with having none.

Ideally the auto-installation should be completely non-interactive but it
may ask the installation profile name and some vital information not
supplied in the profile.

The auto-installation could be started automatically with the proper boot
option but from the user point of view I prefer that he has the possibility
to start it from the initial menu. This is also much safer than running it
automatically from the boot disk and possibly erasing by mistake a previous
installation.

In my opinion a typical usage could be:

  1) configure the profiles for various machines, possibly on an installed
     system

  2) on each target machine:

	boot the installer
	select the auto-installation option
	choose a stored profile and start the installation

A second option would be starting it from the boot prompt:

  boot: auto-install PROFILE=workstation HOSTNAME=debian01

and in this case the initial menu should be skipped.

Having both options is certainly better than having only one.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: see my www home page         |