Re: redesigning the debian installer

> A week or so ago someone uploaded a busyboxed wget command, which is
> quite small, in the apt source i see occasional reference to wget, so
> this would probably be a good spot to start for http ftp retriever.

In my slink automatic installer I used snarf to do network installation
from http and ftp. It is quite small and works very well.
I also wrote a cp-like command which can copy files and directories from
a real filesystem path or a remote url. Very handy for install scripts
since you don't have to know from what type of media you are installing.
I recommend this approach.

> btw i havent looked a mini debconf for a number of weeks now, im
> currently working in tighter integration between busybox ar, tar, gzip.
> It should enable files to be extracted from a deb one at a time which
> could give more control for excluding files, maybe im getting a bit
> carried away with it though....
>
> Glenn

I would also suggest that all installer features could be called also as
unix commands, i.e. no internal commands which can be use only from the C
code.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: see my www home page         |