Re: redesigning the debian installer

Ben Collins wrote:
> > Maybe that's all the hardware detection we should bother with. Is there
> > really any point in worrying about making life easier for owners of ISA
> > hardware these days?
>
> IMO, we shouldn't. Trying to autodetect ISA is probably more harm than
> good anyway.

On the other hand, if the library we pick has ISA detection for free, and
it doesn't add much code bloat, and it can optionally be done, we can offer
it as an option.

So I think it's a nice extra, but not required in whatever library we
pick, and it _is_ required the library can skip all invasive detection.

We should dig up that list someone posted of various hardware detection
libraries and look at the rest of them too.

--
see shy jo