Re: newbie question concerning linux install

Richard Swen <rswen@kyocera-wireless.com> writes:

> Currently I have the hard drive partitioned as follows
>
> NTFS:  5GB
> NTFS:  4GB
> Linux Swap: 256MB
> Linux EXT2: 4GB

Are you sure this is a good idea?  Is the ext2 partition really the
last 4GB partition?  Is it primary or a logical partition?

> I can complete every thing but make the drive bootable.
> When I try to make the hard drive bootable, it seem
> like the CDROM is detected as having the MBR.  I may
> be mistaken on the device names but here is what I
> remember.
>
> CDROM      hda
> ZIP Drive  hdb
> Hard Drive hde

This seems doubtful.  The first IDE drives is almost always hda, not
hde.  Check your kernel startup messages for info.

You are probably going to need to hand-hack lilo.conf for dual boot.
Sorry, our system doesn't support that right now.