Re: newbie question concerning linux install

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 02:09:46PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Richard Swen <rswen@kyocera-wireless.com> writes:
>
> > I can complete every thing but make the drive bootable.
> > When I try to make the hard drive bootable, it seem
> > like the CDROM is detected as having the MBR.  I may
> > be mistaken on the device names but here is what I
> > remember.
> >
> > CDROM      hda
> > ZIP Drive  hdb
> > Hard Drive hde
>
> This seems doubtful.  The first IDE drives is almost always hda, not
> hde.  Check your kernel startup messages for info.

This could be right if the HD is on, say, an HPT366, and the others are
on an on-board controller.  My system turns out to be similar to this.
You should still check it to be sure.

> You are probably going to need to hand-hack lilo.conf for dual boot.
> Sorry, our system doesn't support that right now.

Yep!  Many of the systems I build are multi-boot and hacking on it will
definitely be needed.

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)
Buckeye, AZ   <sbowman@goodnet.com> <bowmanc@acm.org>