Re: boot lockup, can't install

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 04:15:20PM +0000 , Alexander Koch wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a Pentium III (550 MHz) here, Adaptec (7880) that is
> not booting correctly. It goes to the adaptec setup, all is
> ok, but it hangs (no NumLock change possible any more) there.

so this is the standad kernel. Could you try -compact flavour?

> If I build a customized boot disc (make zdisk) it works ok,
> no problems there. Therefore the question comes up: How do I
> exchange the actual kernel in the rescue.bin? Building the

copy other linux there? the problems comes with the fat, that root.bin
contains unix.o for support of unixx sockets. So you should compile this into
the kernel.

> whole set is like hours to get the dependancies... is there

?? apt-get install boot-floppies should get the dependencies right.

> an easy way to exchange just that?

you can also only make root.bin there with custom kernel in updates/

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz