Re: [woody,debinst] (Was: Re: [dbootstrap] `newt' and `boxes.c', `bogl' and `bowl'[, `???' and `boxeX.c'?])

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 02:22:10PM +1000, bug1 wrote:
> Ben Collins wrote:
>

> > Also, I'm looking into a program on freshmeat called genext2fs that can
> > create ext2 images from a directory (and using an optional device list for
> > devices) as non-root. Would be very nice for woody boot-floppies, IMO.
> > It's a single .c, so could go into utilities if it doesn't get packaged.
> >

> Im a bit slow sometimes, how would it be used by boot-floppies?

To create rescue.bin and root.bin without being root (IOW, without
mounting a loop filesystem, etc...). Basically you copy all the files to a
directory, and run the program, and it will create an image that mirrors
that directory (and it creates everything as root.root, no matter what the
perms are in the dir).