Re: install problem

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 08:23:11PM -0400 , Robi wrote:

> > OK. Again wrong. The 2.88 images are really only for CD installs. They are
> > bootable themself and contain root.bin and the files from rescue.bin.
> ok, fair enough. not clear though.
>
> now i get the 1.44 images, and since i'm installing from
> idepci/install.bat it uses the images-1.44/idepci/root.bin, there is also
> a rescue.bin in there.

yes

> after launching the install, and installing OS kernel and modules, it asks
> for the dir where the stuff is, i tell it its on the hardisk, in a dir
> cxalled 'd'. fine it goes there, but complains that there is no
> images-1.44/rescue.bin. It should be looking for the

strange. It shouldb e looking for the correct one. What does tty3 (Alt-F3)
say? IT should print which files it tries to get.

> images-1.44/idepci/rescue.bin as common sense would tend to think. why is
> this?
> Now it also complains that it cannot find drivers.tgz, well why is it
> looking for the 3meg one from the root when there's the 800k one in idepci
> ?

:(( that's bad. Any special commang line

> all this is making very little sense to me.

OK. I now know, why is this happening. The kernel doesn't get the correct
parameters. It works, when you boot from a floppy, but the install.bat doesn't
pass those parameters :((
> please help me understand :-/

So either boot from a floppy :(
or you can add this "disksize=1.44 flavor=idepci" (without the quotes) at the
end of the line in install.bat. This is untested, but should work. This should
be fixed in the next version of boot-floppies.

> --      Robi
				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.