Re: [PROBLEM] in 2.2.15 busybox tar

Quoting Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>:
> I've discovered a problem in the tar in busybox with boot-floppies 2.2.15.
> I tested with busybox-tar and GNU tar, and it is defenitely in busybox.
> For some reason it is making ./ mode 644 (even though in the base2_2.tgz
> tarball it is 755). This basically means that users are getting a / with
> 644 (-x) perms. I've only seen this on sparc, but the fact that is in
> busybox leads me to believe it is not sparc specific. Concerns me that it
> is not being seen elsewhere.
>
> I'll look and see where this is coming from though, unless some others can
> check into it.
>
> Ben

This (and other problems) were what caused me to completely
rewrite BusyBox tar for the BusyBox 0.43 release.  This rewrite
(along with many other bug fixes) is not in the boot floppies.
I stopped updating the boot floppies busybox tree some time ago
to avoid the potential instability caused by active development.
In the past, when I have asked about integrating the fixes and
such from the newer BusyBoxen, I have either been ignored, or
it has been decided to not integrate the newer stuff, except for a
few critical bugs.

I am pretty close to making the BusyBox 0.44 release at the moment.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org