Re: Boot disks

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 11:16:47PM +0100, Dominic Clifton wrote:
> Sven, hi..
>
> Could you tell me where to find the latest debian boot disk, I can get as
> far as "install kernel and modules" on the existing ones and then it asks

You didn't read my install doc to the bottom of it, or maybe i didn't add that
stuff.

The current boot floppies work (btw a new build (2.2.15) was begun yesterday
on i386) ok just this part is not yet working. I don't know why, but it will
stay like that until i fix it, which i don't have time right now, and alos i
absolutelt don't know what is wrong.

Also i submitted a bug report that waits for confirmation on this, please post
your exact experience with 2.2.15 to the debian bug tracking system, at :

64500@bugs.debian.org

So this will be solved soon.

to solve this, just install normally, and once you reboot, do the following
(from memory, check for typos) :

cd /tmp
cp /wherever/put/it/drivers.tgz /tmp
tar xzvf drviers.tgz
cd /
tar xzvf /tmp/modules.tgz
depmod -a

and modules should be installed, later you can play with it with :

modprobe (name of module, ex: modprobe loop for the loop module)
lsmod
rmmod

Another way to do this, is just to reinstall the kernel-image package.

dpkg -i /wherever/put/it/binary-powerpc/base/kernel-image-2.2.10-apus.xxx.deb

or apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.10-apus.

> for a rescue floppy.  I can scroll down and do the install base system ok,
> the configure base system only asks me for the timezone and then it drops
> back to the menu, if you reboot and boot of the partition that i've just

the install base system don't do more than just asking for the timezone and if
your clock is in GTM mode.

> installed it comes up with a message from the file /sbin/unconfigured.sh and
> I can't get any further.

Please explain more here, you will reboot directly on the partition, normally
the first vc will then present you with the followup of the installation
process.

Also you should be able to switch to vc 2+ with alt + F2 and login as normall

> Please e-mail me or give me a url to the latest boot disks that have been
> adjusted for the amiga installation so that I can get at least the base
> system working while I'm waiting for the installation cd. (which still won't
> have the right boot disks on..)

Don't understand what you did wrong, i reinstalled my system from exactly the
same disks you are using, but then i have maybe more experience than you ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER