Re: Installing the base system manually...

On Thursday 25 May 2000, at 17 h 42, the keyboard of Benjamin Redelings
<bredelin@ucla.edu> wrote:

> BTW, is it possible for me to make some partitions on a drive, set then
> simply do 'tar -zxf base2_2.tgz' the one that I want to be root?

Yes.

> could boot using a boot-floppy, and set 'root=[the place where I just
> untarred base2_2.tgz]'.

Yes, it is a common way to test the base system or to try woody on a slink
machine, etc. You can use chroot to, to use your new base.

> I'm guessing 'no', but is there a small (documented?) set of things that
> I can twiddle after untar-ing base2_2 that will make this work?

Pay attention to /etc/fstab, and a few others.