Re: Install from DOS HD

cma2000@earthlink.net writes:

> I think followed the documentation for installing from a DOS/Win95 HD.
> I downloaded the files loadlin.exe, root.bin, linux, drivers.tgz and
> base2_2.tgz and put them in their own directory on my DOS HD.  I then
> rebooted to DOS (no GUI or windows drivers) I CD'd to the directory with
> the Debian files and executed the line 'loadlin linux root=/dev/ram
> initrd=root.bin' just like the install.bat file but without the paths.
> The install seemed to go smoothly, I had to mount the DOS HD in order
> for the installer to find the .tgz files (which didn't feel right as I
> was doing it but couldn't find any other way)

No, that's right -- the 'harddist' or 'mounted' options here...

> The installer completed and said it was time to reboot into Linux.
> The boot into Linux went OK until the dpkg-reconfigure part of the
> script.  Thats when I get the message about id 1 respawning too
> fast: disabled for 5 minutes.  The second time I tried it I pressed
> alt-f2 to get to tty2 I was able to log in but a 'find' was unable
> to find dpkg-reconfigure. I cd'd and ls'd until I found a file
> called dpkg-rec an 'ls -l' in the directory showed all of the files
> names to be only 8 characters long.  Also LILO didn't make an entry
> for my DOS drive I could only halfway boot into Linux.

Um, the disk you were installing *to* isn't a FAT partition is it?

I mean, why would lilo need an entry for your DOS drive?  The DOS
drive should just be where base2_2.tgz (and mabye rescue.bin and
drivers.tgz) is installed *from*.  You need to install *to* an ext2
partition.