Re: Install from DOS HD

cma2000@earthlink.net writes:
> Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > cma2000@earthlink.net writes:
> >
> > >     I tried to install the frozen 'potato' release onto an empty HD set
> > > aside for Linux, from my already installed DOS HD.   I downloaded the
> > > needed files and put them in a directory on my DOS HD per installation
> > > instructions. The installation appeared to go alright but the first boot
> > > from Linux wouldn't complete.  It looks like all of the file names were
> > > truncated to 8 characters.

> I didn't know if I should reply directly to you or to the list, please let me
> know.

To the list.

>  The filenames on the Linux side were truncated.  In particular when the
> first reboot takes place it looks for dpkg-reconfigure, that file couldn't be
> found.  The script looks for the file about 20 times then flashes a message about
> something (tty1?) being spawned to fast and that the (script?) will be disabled
> for 5 minutes.  I logged onto tty2 and all of the file names appeared to be 8
> characters long. Any idea what I am doing wrong?  Chris

This doesn't make sense.  Did you unpack the base system from DOS?
You're supposed to boot into the installation system.  When you're in
linux the base system will be uncompressed and it doesn't have that
filename size limitation.

So please clarify whether you followed the documented install
procedure or did something wacky from DOS/Windows.