Install from DOS HD

    I tried to install the frozen 'potato' release onto an empty HD set
aside for Linux, from my already installed DOS HD.   I downloaded the
needed files and put them in a directory on my DOS HD per installation
instructions. The installation appeared to go alright but the first boot
from Linux wouldn't complete.  It looks like all of the file names were
truncated to 8 characters.  I used the base2_2.tgz and drivers.tgz files
for the install, would unarchiving the files first have made a
difference.  Any other ideas on what went wrong?   Thanks, Chris