switching from boot floppy to hard drive with power boot

I'm a linux newbie who just installed debian on a p166. during the
installation, I elected to use a boot floppy to make sure nothing weird
would happen to my windows bootability. now that I'm satisfied it works, I
want to get rid of the boot floppy. how do I adjust this in debian?

to complicate things somewhat, I don't want to use the normal lilo utility
for dual booting. I have a clever little boot manager called powerboot
(www.blueskyinnovations.com, I think) that lets me just choose which
partition I want to boot from. it even calls it "c:" if it needs to. (I had
used it before to choose between win98, winnt, and dos/win31.)

if anyone out there has used powerboot, could you tell me what you had to
do to make everything live peacefully together? my guess is once I get
linux booting automatically I just need to reinstall powerboot, but I'm not
sure.

even if you're not a powerboot user, what are the mechanics behind booting
linux direct from a hard drive partition? where and what is the magic stuff
that it's writing for the computer to know what to do? and finally, what
file do I adjust in debian to get rid of the boot floppy.

thanks,
-david

---
David C. Ables