Re: First Test Cycle starts today

On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 12:32:01PM -0600 , Bruce Sass wrote:
> What would you have on /boot that it would need 5-10M?

120kB+500kB for one kernel (uni processor with lots of modules). You can
easilly get on 1MB kenrel with smp. and I usually have 4-6 kernel.
distribution, old stable, new stable, bleading edge and time to time some real
weirdos

> Excluding var, home, usr, tmp; / should be no less than 12M, 15-20M is

du -sk bin etc lib sbin
3819    bin
9411    etc
22079   lib
3812    sbin

any comments about the size of / ? 50MB is IMHO absolute minimum

> probably better, this is in line with the general consensus expressed in
> the available docs.  If you forget to put /var on its own, large[1],

and not forget to symlink /tmp -> /var/tmp

> partition (something not always mentioned in the howto's, etc.)  or link
> it into a larger partition, you need ~24M in / to install the base
> system - but you will run out of inodes in a hurry when you start adding
> packages (this was as of 2.2.9?).

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

* Joy sees a potato running down the street and shouting "I'm late! I'm late!" ;))