Re: i18n'd boot-floppies ?

Michael Sobolev <mss@transas.com> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 02:30:59PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > > It's not ready for use.  Again, I rely on a very specific things: a framebuffer
> > > capable kernel and dbootstrap running under bterm.
> >
> > Interesting.  Are there test versions built this way?

> Well, if you mean a rescue floppy, then no.  I never succeeded to build a
> boot-floppies stuff at home computer.

Yikes -- whoever is adding the support really needs to be able to do
full builds.

> > Do you think we could provide a root disk compiled with i18n as a new
> > 'i18n' flavor on i386?

> Could anybody help me with creating a new flavour?  If yes, I think it would be
> a very good thing to have.  As soon as i18n becomes mature, this could go
> mainstream.

Sure, see above, but you just need to, say, look at the
'resc1440-s.bin' targets, I guess, or similar.  We shouldn't need a
separate drivers disk for this flavor, although it doesn't hurt.

You'll have to pick a kernel to go with I guess.

I wonder if Taketoshi Sano <kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp> can help get this
done?

> > Oh well, we can just let the local teams provide l10n'd versions of
> > the rescue disk unofficially if they want...

> BTW, it would be a good idea to have localized rescue disks on ftp.debian.org.
> There are only 16 of them.

I would *love* *love* *love* that to happen.

My problem is that I need to spend some energy with the documentation,
getting that into shape.  Otherwise I'd work on this with you.
Hopefully someone else can step up.