update-modules should not depend on bash; breaks installs

Package: modutils
Version: 2.3.11-1
Severity: grave

I really should have noticed this earlier.... recently update-modules began
depending on bash and using bashisms. This completely breaks installs on
boot-floppies which only has access to ash.

Part of this is boot-floppies' fault, because of busybox's limitations.

The following changes are needed to get update-modules to work:

1. instead of checking $UID (which is not in ash) update-modules should use
id -u (as it used to do). I'll add id to busybox.

The following two changes can be done in busybox:
2. busybox tail requires -n for the number of lines, so it'd be best if
   update-modules uses tail -n 1 instead of tail -1. I can also patch this
   into busybox

3. busybox cp doesn't recognize the -f parameter for cp. Either drop the -f
   or again we can try to patch busybox

Before people complain about busybox, recognize that without it we'll
probably need more floppies for a simple install than we already do.

Wichert, please let me know what you want to do about 2 and 3. We really
need this fixed very very soon.

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>