Re: 2.2.12 bf on athlon 600

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 01:52:07PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > * speaking of modules: after i install the drivers and want to
> >   configure, say, the eepro 10/100 i get a installation failed
> >   because there is no modules.conf in /target/etc/. after copying
> >   this file from /etc to /target/etc everything works fine.
>
> Dammit.  Why does modconf suck so much?
That's what I pointed out a few days ago, but noone listened to me :-(

It's neither modconf, nor modutils, it's here:

basedisks.sh line 302:
# will be copied from or created by the root disk
rm -f $B/etc/{modules.conf,modules}

but copying isn't done in utilities/dbootstrap/baseconfig.c

I severely doubt that modules.conf in the rootdisk is of any use.
It is needed exactly when loading modules. The installation process
does it at the end of baseconfig.c, where /target is already mounted
and the base system extracted as a prerequisite.

Please tell me where I'm wrong here.

I opt for removing modules.conf from the above line and for removing the
code stolen from update-modules in rootdisk.sh That is less code to correct
a bug which is supposed to be a good thing (TM).

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source