[Bruce Sass <bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>] Re: potato growing pains

Well, I looked at the archives, but can't find anything except perhaps
this:

Adam> Should we add some documentation on vc boot args to the syslinux
Adam> help screens found in scripts/rescue/messages ?

There was no resolution, I believe.

So, once again: is there any way to make the installed kernel either
use a specific LINES by COLUMNS resolution or else not use fbcon?

I realize that I can solve this by compiling my own kernel, but I
didn't expect that so soon :-(

Please include my address in any followups, thanks.
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

Both are known problems with the installation system.
I wish the pre-release versions of the boot-floppies directed people to
debian-boot instead of debian-user; you would get a faster and better
response and the users would not have to wade through messages
describing transitory problems.

On 21 Apr 2000, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> The installation went smoothly except for 1 glitch - I was unable to
> create a boot floppy.  When I got to that stage it formatted the blank
<...>

Use syslinux to create a boot floppy after the installation is complete.
see: /usr/share/doc/syslinux/syslinux.doc.gz

> More importantly though, do you know how I can resize the newfangled
> framebuffer console like I could with SVGATextMode?  stm itself
<...>

This was mentioned on debian-boot a few days ago; try the mailing list
archive for debian-boot or ask on debian-boot or debian-testing if the
archive doesn't contain a fix.

later,

	Bruce

--- End Message ---