Re: bootfloppies 2.2.11 report

On Wed Apr 12, 2000 at 10:33:09AM -0600, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Mon Apr 10, 2000 at 04:41:01PM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
> >
> > >  *The interesting thing about these depmod errors was that only every
> > >   other line was reported! (as compared to what was displayed during the
> > >   reboot).  This makes one wonder if perhaps the busybox syslog function
> > >   only logs every other line!
> > >   [boot-floppies, at least the syslog stuff]
> >
> > rather improbable i'd think. Erik, what do you think?
>
> BusyBox syslogd very recently had some major surgery to handle multiple
> concurrent connections (thanks to bcollins and karlheg) to avoid some nasty
> priority inversion problems (low priority process logs something but holds the
> syslog open, init tries to log something and blocks... ouch).
>
> Anyway, it is possable that there are some new/strange bugs lurking.  I'll try
> to squeeze in some time to look at it today,

Took me a bit longer to find the bug then I thought it would (it was kindof
subtle).  syslogd read a buffer from the socket, and printed one and only
one syslog entry from the buffer.  If the buffer contained multiple syslog
entries, all entries after the first was lost.

Anyways, it is fixed now in CVS.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/