Re: How to fix my 2.2.8 box?

    Lindsay> My new deb box has all sorts of display problems.  mc, for instance, has a
    Lindsay> grey background instead of the familar blue, and most of the text is grey
    Lindsay> also, making it a tad hard to read.

    Lindsay> I suspect that it has something to do with LANG=C but I can not figure out
    Lindsay> how to fix it.  Any help will be much appreciated.

 It has nothing to do with LANG.  It has to do with the vga16
 framebuffer console.  If you switch to another VT and back, it will
 be full color again.  The penguin boot logo's color set is not the
 same as the standard VGA16 color set, and the palette needs to be
 reset.

 A VT switch forces the palette to be reset, as does:

  echo -ne '\033]R'

 ... which belongs in the `console-tools' init script.  I have sent
 them a bug report and a patch.  I hope it gets acted on for Potato!