Re: Testing the new boot floppies

[ Let's get some terminology straight... The "install procedure" is
  dbootstrap, the configuration after install is base-config, and the
  "simple install" is tasksel. ]

Dale Scheetz wrote:
> First there is no way to setup PPP within the install procedure. Upon
> rebooting after the Base System has been installed, I must move to another
> VC and run pppconfig on my own, start the connection, and then I can use
> the ftp method.

It seems we must have a cascade of problems.

Base-config only runs pppconfig if PPP is set in /root/dbootstrap_settings --
dbootstrap is supposed to set that if you do something (dunno what) during the
initial install. Does dbootstrap do this correctly? I don't know. If you
can supply a /root/dbootstrap_settings file, we can find out.

If that is set properly, base-config will prompt you to tall if you want to
install via ppp. However, I notice this prompt has a default of no, and it
is only asked at a medium priority. If you ran dbootstrap in quiet mode,
this would cause it to default to no w/o you seeing the question. I've
increased the priority of the question now.

I have confirmed that base-config also has a bug -- it should set up ppp
after asking the question and before configuring apt, but does not. I have
now corrected this bug, and verified that pppconfig is run if PPP is set in
dbootstrap_settings. (This fixs is in base-config 0.24, in Incoming.)

> There is a bug report on this issue, so I hope it is being fixed.

Against what? I can't find it.

> The PPP configuration sets up the dialout to leave the speaker connected
> once the connection is established, leaving you with a machine that makes
> a very agrivating noise.

Sounds like a pppconfig bug.

> this in the future. When I got into the actual download I was told that
> the time to completion was somehwere in excess of 14 hours! As I have
> never held a connection for that long, I am left with a serious question:
> How does apt deal with a dropped line in the middle of the download? How
> do I restart things once the connection has been re-established?

If you lose connection, apt will presumably die with an error. You will
then be told there was a problem with the install, and prompted to retry,
which will re-run apt and continue the download.

I don't know if pppconfig defaults to running ppp with persist on. If it
does, ppp should automatically redial. If not, you're rather screwed at
that point.

> The "simple" install is actually pretty nice, although I believe I will
> use the advanced method in the future. It would be nice if the simple
> install included a single "standard" choice, as I am used to having a
> standard system to start with, and then adding on what I need.

Tasksel automatically selects all required and important packages no matter
what you select. Perhaps this should include all standard priority packages
as well?

The policy manual says that all standard packages should be installed by
default "if the user doesn't select anything else". Randolph and I have
talked about this before, inconclusively. I don't know if it makes sense to
only install standard if you select no tasks in tasksel, or what.

> What are the chances of having a working ppp configuration by release
> time?

I dunno, it's going to take testing, that's for sure.

--
see shy jo