Re: `linux debug' causing hang when Lilo is to be run.

On Thu Mar 23, 2000 at 08:08:17PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> >  I also ran into the "it won't reboot" problem, and the `dbootstrap'
> >  isn't respawned bug.  I have a feeling that in both cases, if
> >  `cardmgr' is killed, `init' might continue and execute those
> >  actions... ?  It might be blocking trying to write to the logs.
>
> I never tried to kill cardmgr but it looks like this is the bug.  I
> agree it seems to be syslog somehow.  What cardmgr has to do with
> syslog I have no idea -- maybe understanding that would shed light.

The reason I changed dbootstrap and busybox init to do the
    openlog("foo", 0, LOG_USER);
    syslog(LOG_USER|LOG_INFO, theMessage);
    closelog();
thing was that if process A has the log open, and then
process B tries to log stuff, process B loses...

I wonder if somebody has the log locked open.

BTW, sorry I didn't get to look into this today at work.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org