Re: boot-floppies 2.2.9 and Debian CD's...

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 08:00:38PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>
> > When mkhybrid creates the CD, you pass it the image(s) to use for booting.
> > One of these is the root.bin from boot-floppies. It does not need to be
> > recreated for the CD's, just simply:
> >
> > gzip -dc root.bin > root.bin.uncompressed
> > mount -o loop root.bin.uncompressed /mnt
> > touch /mnt/cdrom_image
> > umount /mnt
> > gzip -c9 root.bin.uncompressed > root.bin
> >
> > It's quite simple, and then that becomes the root image used for CD
> > booting.
>
> Ew.  Wouldn't it be better to look for a file in the *CD* root dir
> rather than the root.bin root dir?  Or is this too hard to do?

By the time dbootstrap sees the root of the cdrom, it already knows that
it is a cdrom and has asked two questions it didn't need to ask. Putting
it there is not really going to help any.

This is just something that needs to be done in the debian-cd package, for
each of the boot setup scripts. AFAIK, these scripts (for each arch)
already do a lot of weird stuff anyway to make things bootable. Plus, this
isn't a *required* thing. You wont ever notice it if the change isn't made
to debian-cd, it will work like it always has. I've already done sparc.

> Also, could you please notate these and all other changes in
> debian/changelog of boot-floppies?  Thanks.

Most of it already is, I'll add the other few I missed tonight.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '