Re: `linux debug' causing hang when Lilo is to be run.

karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

>  I got all the way through the install, stopping right after install
>  modules to edit "/target/etc/pcmcia/network" to change "mount -t nfs"
>  into "mount | grep nfs", and to "sed -e 's/mount -v/mount/g' < network
>  > network.new && mv network.new network && chmod +x network".

Ok -- um... shouldn't we change busybox mount to ignore the -v switch,
then?

>  PCMCIA configures fine, I can access the net and install base from
>  the net.

I was getting coring or hang when installing base from NFS, or
sometimes when extracting base from the tarball.

>  But this time, when I selected "make bootable from hard
>  drive", it hangs.  `ps' shows that the Lilo command is NOT what's
>  hanging; it's not in the `ps' listing at all.

This is in line with the sorts of hangs and bugs I was seeing,
although at a different point in the process.  They seem related to
me.

>  You can see from this that it's hung in `puts()'...  I typed "up" a
>  few times, and was rewarded with a source buffer displaying this
>  section of util.c:
>
>   if (bootargs.isdebug) {
>     openlog(SYSLOG_IDENT, LOG_PID, LOG_USER);
>     syslog(LOG_DEBUG, "running cmd '%s'", cmd);
>   }
>   else {
>     openlog(SYSLOG_IDENT, LOG_PID, LOG_USER);
>   }
>
>  The `syslog()' call is where the highlight bar is shown; that's where
>  it calls into libc, in the above trace.  I don't know why it hangs
>  there; it calls `execlog()' quite a number of times through the
>  install, and it works up until now...

Again, it would totally make sense this is the same bug I was seeing,
even though I wasn't able to produce a core.

>  I rebooted again, without the debug switch, and verified that
>  everything seems to work fine without it.  It runs `lilo' fine, and
>  reboots normally, &c.

Interesting.

>  I wonder if `dbootstrap' is just blocking???  Erik?  Could there be
>  an error in the `syslogd' of busybox that would cause this to occur?
>  Or is it `syslog()'?  What might it be?  You tell me and we'll both
>  know.
>
>  I don't know yet if, when "debug" is not given on the boot command
>  line, whether the logging is deferred like this...  I need to look
>  deeper into what `syslog()' does, etc.
>
>  Any ideas?
>
>  I also ran into the "it won't reboot" problem, and the `dbootstrap'
>  isn't respawned bug.  I have a feeling that in both cases, if
>  `cardmgr' is killed, `init' might continue and execute those
>  actions... ?  It might be blocking trying to write to the logs.

I never tried to kill cardmgr but it looks like this is the bug.  I
agree it seems to be syslog somehow.  What cardmgr has to do with
syslog I have no idea -- maybe understanding that would shed light.

Good detective work!