Re: `boot-floppies' documentation naming conventions?

karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

>  This reminds me...  Not only do we need to ensure that the
>  non-english documentation gets installed by our `make release'
>  target, we need to make sure that the file names are of the correct
>  form so that content negotiation will function correctly.

I already have a top-level Make target that will build all languages
for a given platform: 'all-lang-docs'.

>  Yesterday was the first time I read anything about that...  What I
>  learned is that with Apache "Options Multiviews", a file named like
>  "name.html.en" will be found when "name.html" is requested, but a
>  name like "name.en.html" will not, unless `mod_rewrite' is used...(?)
>
>  Can you clue me in?  What should we be naming the documentation files
>  like so that things will function correctly on
>  <URL:http://http.us.debian.org/debian> and others?

The file naming we currently use is *guaranteed* to work on
www.debian.org and debian mirrors.  I don't know about the foo.en.html
vs foo.html.en -- I just did things (for slink, even!) the way that
they actually do other such pages on the debian web site.

Its already there for the slink area and it works.

>  I suppose that the other option is to name the non-english documents
>  in their native language...  You tell me and we'll both know.

No.

> Maybe I'm not the one who should field this one.

Probably not.  Really, almost all the problems are solved.  All we
need to do is to change the uni-docs dependancy to all-lang-docs.

And then to make sure that the URLs for the downloadable versions
work.  Note that my intention for the materials to go on
www.debian.org/releases/potato to be linked to material off
http.us.debian.org/dists/potato/... rather than files in the actual
web dirs.