Re: README-Users.m4 > README.txt

    Randolph> In reference to a message from Karl M. Hegbloom, dated Mar 18:
    >>
    >> It was pointed out that the README is installed with *nix line
    >> endings, and cannot be viewed in the Windows notepad because of this.
    >> I just did an experiment...  I ran `recode latin1..ibmpc' on it, and
    >> found that `less', `more', `busybox more' and `cat' will all display
    >> the file fine with DOS line endings.  So, I'll update the
    >> `release.sh' and make certain that the README is named with a .txt
    >> extension, and has DOS line endings.

    Randolph> hm... how about vi or emacs?!

 `nvi' displays it fine, but shows "^M" where the carriage returns
 are.  They clutter a little, but it's readable.  Emacs 20.5 is
 compiled with Mule, and it displays it normally, with "(DOS)" in the
 modeline.  XEmacs will do the similar; with Mule it will do what
 Emacs does, without, it will do what `nvi' did.  XEmacs 21.2 Beta
 compiled with either Mule or `file-coding' will do what Emacs 20.5
 did also.

    Randolph> Windows users should be either select ASCII when they do FTP transfers
    Randolph> (which is what that option is for anyway), or use an editor like wordpad or
    Randolph> MSWord, which can deal with unix or dos line endings.

 Yes, but the README.txt will be on CD-ROM's as well, and I think it
 ought to be readable by _any_ DOS, freeDOS, or Windows text
 reader/editor.  (DOS Edit, notepad, &c.)