Re: no window manager, no x-terminal, after installing task-gnome

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 11:23:30PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Eric> Just tried another install today, with boot-floppies built from
>     Eric> CVS sources that I updated about noon today, PST.  I installed the
>     Eric> task-x-window-system package, and typed `startx' when dselect was
>     Eric> finished.  I saw the standard X stippled background ... and nothing
>     Eric> else.  No xterm.  It took me a few minutes to realize that I was
>     Eric> running twm (I clicked the left mouse-button, and lo, the twm menu
>     Eric> came up) but alas: there's no way for me to start processes!  Since
>     Eric> there's no xterm, I can't type at a command line, and the twm menu has
>     Eric> no way to start a process.

twm uses the Debian menu system.  From the twm main menu (left mouse button
on the root window), try "Debian->Xshells" and then whichever installed
terminal emulator you want.

I agree that twm is a bit quiet about announcing its presence, but almost
all window managers install with a higher priority, so twm was only started
because you didn't have wmaker, fvwm, enlightenment, etc.

>  I would like it if it would require `xserver-vga16' and `xf86setup'
>  to be installed, then run `XF86Setup' (anXious didn't work; I tried
>  it... XF86Setup is the best one).

No.  I categorically oppose cramming these two packages down people's
throats.

>  After the server is configured, there's "one" more problem...  There
>  is no ~/.xsession.  Perhaps there should be one in the "/etc/skel"
>  directory?  I copied the "/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome" script to
>  "~/.xsession".  It provides the best configuration of them all...

Then maybe the GNOME packages should offer to do this copying.

I don't have time to reply to the rest of this mail but some people are
really jumping to insane conclusions.

The xauth program in 3.3.6-4 is broken, and so naturally causes problems
for people spawning local clients.  It will be fixed in -5, which I will be
uploading today, if people are willing to quit spamming me with hysterical
messages like this based upon practically zero research or knowledge of the
issues involved, and attempting to swat flies with asteroids.

Perhaps instead of beating the GNOMEification drum and forcing your desktop
paradigm on all Debian users for the sake of ease-of-use, you could give me
a few minutes to fix this bug in xauth which is causing difficulties for
everyone, not just point-and-drool desktop advocates.

BTW, /etc/X11/Xsession is a conffile.  If you want to litter it with GNOME
toys, you are perfectly free to do so on your own system.

In the future, when something is broken, send mail to the lists describing
the problem in detail ("anXious doesn't work" is not good enough); try to
establish if other people are having the problem; and then ask the lists
about it, browse the bug tracking system, etc., before flying off the
handle and proposing a complete overhaul of, for instance, Debian's X
session management.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Murphy's Guide to Science:
Debian GNU/Linux               |    If it's green or squirms, it's biology.