MILO size problems

I'm not sure if you've noticed this, but it's not possible to build
rescue disks containing both MILO and a 2.2 kernel with the latest
version of MILO (which contains the 8086 emulation code that's needed
to initialize the VGA on many/most Alphas)

Because we *need* to ship that version of MILO, I fear we'll have to
can of course make them significantly smaller than 1.4M :)

I've been updating the documentation to point out that MILO is not
available for new Alphas, can't be installed automatically by
dbootstrap, and is generally deprecated for use on any machines except
those that cannot use SRM firmware now that Compaq has made SRM
updates available for nearly all platforms.

Also, remember that we'll also have to ship the MILO binaries "loose"
on the CD in order to enable installing from CD using MILO.

I'm of half a mind to not ship disk images of MILO+linload, because if
people can write disk images, they can certainly copy two files onto a
FAT formatted floppy.  And we should make clear that you should only
use MILO if you *cannot* switch to SRM firmware.

Are you in agreement?  I can devise a solution today if need be.

One other thing to mention: if we are going to provide
subarch-specific kernels (the only machine that really needs this in
order to boot is Jensen), then we should also provide kernel disks for
DP264 and Nautilus, particularly since I've added them to the list of
subarchitectures in the documentation :)

I'll build some new 2.2.14 kernel images soon if I don't hear back
from the maintainer.

--
David Huggins-Daines, Senior Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
613.562.1239 tel