Re: installation of `standard' packages comes as a surprise

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Eric Hanchrow wrote:
> > that, I suppose.  But then, if I log in, run `deslect', choose
> > `[S]elect', hit Space, then Enter, I see 68 *more* packages --
> > presumably the Standard ones -- which I have yet to install.  This is
> > weird.  Why weren't these packages installed when I initially
> > installed Debian?
>
> Randolph, do you think I should run tasksel -risq? I currently run just
> tasksel -riq. Policy says that "This is what will install by default if
> the user doesn't select anything else.", and a literal reading of that says
> that we shouldn't install standard unless the user skips takssel or
> something. I understand why dselect then selects it though.

Speaking as someone who had the same experience, we should either
install the Standard packages, or provide a task that selects them or
some other option to install them.

It's *very* frustrating to do an install from tasksel and find that
you don't have things like file, cron, or exim installed.

--
David Huggins-Daines, Senior Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
613.562.1239 tel