Re: [woody discussion] 3 stage install

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 04:48:20AM +0000, bug1 wrote:
> I had some thoughts regarding the posible workings of the next boot
> floppies.
> I havent yet convinced myself its needed, but i ill let my thoughts fly
> anyway.

> As i say, im not totally convinced myself, it could be a hassle to get
> X-windows organised, i think it could be done in a platform independent
> way using the framebuffer device ggi and the X-ggi server.

For what i've seen (from Corel, Mandrake, or even MS Win) graphical
install use only low resolution. I think Corel & Mandrake use the
VGA16 server (640x480 4bpp).

And i think a text GUI can be as good as a VGA one.  The problem with
new users is mainly about the questions you ask them, not about
usability.

However the mouse can help a lot for keyboard-phobic users,
and it is easier to have a good looking mouse in X than in a text GUI.

> As i see it, the more user friendly the install is the more complex the
> install program becomes, and there are lots more considerations required
> to keep computer illiterate people happy (if we decide to try). Breaking
> it down is a good way to simplify things.
>
> It would be good to have a non destructive install.

The actual install is non destructive if you have repartionned your
hard drive before...

> Any comments... or have i scared you all off by now ?

A good partitionner will help a lot. GNU parted may help (with some easy
UI). Diskdrak (from Mandrake) is pretty good too.

Mandrake is really an easy to install distro you should try it see
what is good and may be imported to the debian install process.

A+

--
Fabrice Gautier <gautier@email.enst.fr>
----