Bugs/Wishlist/Resume 2.2.7-feb11

Hi,
short resume of my just finished install - Mostly wishlist - Some bugs.

I installed the "normal" 1.44MB disk set on a "std" i386 ide based System
using the base2_2.tgz from "current".

- The text after driver disk copieng is a bit confusing as the user thinks
  it just has installed the driver -
  "Installing drivers from /target/drivers.tgz" should be something
  like "Decompressing drivers ..."

- Is it intentional that on "i386" when you select /dev/fd0 for rescue
  installation you wont be asked again for installation source of the
  drivers ? (This is very good for "newbies" which could get easily
  annoyed by asked over and over again - But i was a bit confused :)

- DHCP/BOOTP is the default and someone might easily tap into this and has
  to wait "up to 20 seconds". The solution could be that DHCP/BOOT is either
  not the default or possibly abortable via CTRL-C or something.

- The order of domain name and ip config question has changed. Normally
  there was the question for hostname, domain name, ip config. Now the
  question for the domain name comes as the last question although it belongs
  to the "hostname".

- The timezone selection is still a bit confusing for "newcomers" as it is not
  clear that there will be a "City" selection after Timezone + Country etc.

- When booting into the base.tgz (from current) there are error messages for
  "net-pf-1" module.

- When doing the default "depmod" in bootup you get error messages stating
  "depmod: error reading ELF header: No such file or directory"

- I didnt find my (official) debian mirror (source.rfc822.org - Germany) in
  the mirrors list while choosing probably due to the misinformation on the
  mirrors list that it doesnt do http)

- When starting the package installation after dselect i got the error
  "debconf: Perl may be unconfigured (Can`t locate Getopt/Long [...]"

- There seem to be misinformations in the base2_2.tgz on the state of
  the pap-secrets as i get asked for the

The installation is very comfortable (good work - thanks) although the No. of
disks is quiet annoying.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566