Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 12:04:16PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > The purpose of this MBR is the same as that of any MBR.
> Funny, you edited out my question about why _THIS_ MBR allows you
> to choose to boot from a floppy. Does the logical answer disturb
> you, perhaps?

No, it's irrelevant.  It is not MBR that is making things insecure.
It's YOU (or the relevant admin).

> If I read the above correctly, you agree with me, then, that _THIS_
> MBR should be replaced with a regular, less-featured MBR.

I personally don't care as I run an Alpha :-)

However I think it is a very poor argument to remove something because
it has features that an inexperienced admin could misuse.  Virtually
everything in the distro is like that.

> > Which would mean that anybody without an MBR already on their system
> > would not get a bootable machine.  Bad idea.
> Either you can't read or you're trying to make me look like an idiot.

Nobody has yet mentioned a suitable alternative.

> No: that means Lilo's MBR would be installed instead by default.
> _That_ is the reasonnable choice. You implicitly admitted this
> at the top.

No, I didn't.  The weakness of this is that you can only change the
partitions to boot from within Linux.  If Linux is not bootable or
deleted, you're stuck.  This is not acceptable.

John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
The 464,750th digit of pi is 5.