potato install hiccups

I just installed a potato system on an HP LPr using the current disk set,
and have a couple of observations ...

---
Very cool that it now can use dhcp/pump.  Good move.  The trouble is when
the system reboots, pump hasn't been fully configured - the
/etc/default/pump file - and networking isn't configured at all.  I had to
manually configure /etc/init.d/network, before I figured out the
/etc/default/pump file.  Note, I did *not* configure /etc/hosts yet.

This also causes problems later during dselect install.  exim, mailx,
logrotate and at all have problems since they can't get the hostname or
fqdn.  Once I had created the appropriate localhost and hostname info in
/etc/hosts, those four packages installed clean.

I added "IFACES=eth0" to the /etc/default/pump file, and then that worked
fine.  We still didn't have a new hosts file, so that part is still kaput.
If dhcp/pump doesn't get a hostname or domainname, there needs to be a query
dialog asking for those.

---
We have a pretty complete mirror here, minus sources and non-i386 archs.
When setting up the source for apt, it insists on finding the source
hierarchy, an since it's not there, it just loops around asking the config
questions repeatedly.

---
The default message level for debconf is medium.  Somehow that made it take
the default answer for console-data, which was to use the azerty keyboard,
rather than the more common? qwerty.  That was fun.

--
Dean Carpenter  deano@areyes.com
94 TT :)              Dean.Carpenter@pharma.com