Re: Status of Potato?

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> >1. keyboard couldn't be configured, I beleve there was a problem writing
> >to /tmp.
>
> Are you sure you didn't just get a message about writing to temp?  Are
> you sure that the keyboard really didn't get configured properly,
> despite what is I suspect just a spurious error msg?

I always pick the default anyway, and everything seemed to work, but the
option remained as the one that it wanted to run next.

> >2. the driver install failed, probably because I was using a different
> >kernel, the screen never said why.
>
> Oh foo!  Did you check /var/log/messages?
>
> Use the 'debug' flag when debugging, and look in tty3 or
> /var/log/message (same thing, more or less).

I can regenerate the errors.  I guess the debug option is at the initial
boot screen.  Assuming I'm not snowed in, I can try it by early next week.

> >4. netfetch failed, perhaps the network never was properly configured.  I
> >stoped here with a lack of floppies.
>
> Ugh.  Please try to track down more.  Need more info.  Such as
> ifconfig output and what steps you did to do netconfiguration, etc.

When dhcp failed, it offered to do a normal configuration, which I did.
It should have been pretty generic, so I believe the numbers were like:
ip: 163.252.29.59
bcast: 163.252.29.255
mask: 255.255.255.0
gw: 163.252.29.254
dns: 163.252.???? (some other subnet)

I remember it reporting up and running, and being able to ping from
another box was promissing.  However, I wasn't able to test from the
install machine.  Is ping provided on the root image.  It was just
segfaulting, but I know the shell is pretty limited.  I'll try to track it
down a bit more next time (I was a bit rushed with workers hauling in
heavy stuff next to me).

> >I think it all is caused by my custom kernel.  It was built using the same
> >config file I posted a while back.  I feel that I'm lacking some required
> >options and the documentation on building a custom kernel may be out of
> >date (the readme on the rescue disk).
>
> Yes, the doc is definately out of date, but it's not the first
> priority.

Understood.

> > Hopefully tonight I can try a generic install at home which rarely
> >gives me problems.  If things are hurried, I have a spare harddrive
> >for my laptop that I can give a try on, but a co-worker will want to
> >use that in a few days.
>
> I know there are several problems with the compact flavor.  Either the
> 'compact' option is not being set, or dbootstrap is not looking at
> that option correctly.  Known bug in 2.2.5.

Ok, I'll give it a try with the non-compact and see what happens.

Brandon

    Brandon Mitchell  *  http://public.surfree.com/bmitch
  bmitch@surfree.com  *  ICQ: 30631197