FWD: Install problem (bug?) Mylex vs. Woody

----- Forwarded message from "John T. Croteau" <johnc@geekopolis.com> -----

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 13:30:55 -0600 (CST)
From: "John T. Croteau" <johnc@geekopolis.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Install problem (bug?) Mylex vs. Woody

I was very pleased when I saw that the Woody root disk now supports the
Mylex block device driver (/dev/rd/*).  This was to mean no more RH or
Slackware for me.

However, I have run into a slight problem with the Debian install script
and looking for suggestions or wondering if it should be submitted as a
bug.

fdisk creates the partions with a name like '/dev/rd/c0d0p2'  c0 = first
controller, d0 = first array pack, p2 = partition 2.

When I tell the Debian install script to format and mount the partition,
it sees it as '/dev/rd/c0d02' (dropping the 'p') and thus can't format it
because '/dev/rd/c0d02' is not a valid device file.  I said fine, and
created a '/dev/rd/c0d02' device and it was able to format it.  However,
it could not mount it.  After it mounts, a dialog box comes up immediately
and informs me that "The root device has unexpectedly changed, from
/dev/rd/c0d02 to /dev/rd/c0d0p2."

Now, I am stuck in this vicious circle and can't get any further until it
mounts the partitions without warnings.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

- JT