Re: DHCP kernel support

On Mon Dec 27, 1999 at 04:12:54PM -0500, Brian Almeida wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 26, 1999 at 06:44:25PM -0700, Erik Andersen wrote:
> > I was installing some servers for my Dad's law office (great way to
> > spend vacation time, I know) and discovered that the stock kernel on the
> > boot floppies does not support DHCP. Since my Dad's office goes through
> > a cable modem, and DHCPCD is the only way to get online, it made things
> > much more difficult then it should have been.
> It's been on the todo list, but DHCP isn't really in the kernel (unless
> you use Chip Salzenberg's experimental patches), but rather a client program.
> dhcpcd is the one I use, redhat uses pump. dhcpcd would cost about 21k.
> No extra dependencies are needed. The main issue is integrating it into
> dbootstrap.

I know all about dhcpcd. I used on a large number of Linux boxes at the
ISP I used to run, and was how I got my Dad's office running. Having the
dhcp-client package (which is what dhcpcd is now being called in potato)
support on the boot floppies would be really nice.

But that wasn't what I was talking about.

My point was that the _kernel_ as provided by the boot floppies wont run
DHCPCD at all. Try it. You will see something like the following:

    socket: Protocol not available - make sure CONFIG_PACKET and
    CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel configuration!

Lack of _kernel_ support for DHCP is in my opinion, a bad thing.  If folks
agree with me, I'll file a bug.   Sorry I wasn't sufficiently clear (I was
very tired at the time).

Anyway, do folks agree I should file a bug, or is there a good reason to
keep CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER out of the kernel?

> > I think DHCP is common enough it should have kernel support out of the
> > box (and adding support for it to the boot floppies would be nice as
> > well).
> >
> > Agreed?
> Most definately.

 -Erik