Re: DHCP kernel support

On Sun, Dec 26, 1999 at 06:44:25PM -0700, Erik Andersen wrote:
> I was installing some servers for my Dad's law office (great way to
> spend vacation time, I know) and discovered that the stock kernel on the
> boot floppies does not support DHCP. Since my Dad's office goes through
> a cable modem, and DHCPCD is the only way to get online, it made things
> much more difficult then it should have been.
It's been on the todo list, but DHCP isn't really in the kernel (unless
you use Chip Salzenberg's experimental patches), but rather a client program.
dhcpcd is the one I use, redhat uses pump. dhcpcd would cost about 21k.
No extra dependencies are needed. The main issue is integrating it into
dbootstrap.

> I think DHCP is common enough it should have kernel support out of the
> box (and adding support for it to the boot floppies would be nice as
> well).
>
> Agreed?
Most definately.