sound (was: kernel "flavors")

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 02:26:35PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> writes:
>
> > ``Need'', no. But sound would be cool. Perhaps I'm starting to
> > sound repetitive, but the fact that you have to compile a
> > kernel to get sound on Debian is really really bad.
>
> That's absolutely not true.  My x86 laptop works great with sound --
> they are all modules.

Hmm? And where do the modules come from? What is the sound
hardware? Perhaps instead of a kernel, we could live with some
(small) kernel-modules-sound-xxx packages and (more important)
a README.sound in the disks-* directory.

> This has been discussed in depth already.  We're just not ready for
> initrd dynamic module loading for mounting root yet.

I'm aware of that. I said in my message that I know the
reasons, but I didn't think I had to mention them. :-)

Somehow I feel that the next (woody?) boot-floppies will have
little resemblance to the ones in potato.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.