Re: Problems installing with CVS updated 12/8

"Craig H. Block" <craig.block@mindspring.com> writes:

> I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I'm getting a whole bunch
> of modprobe errors just prior to startup of dbootstrap.  Something about
> not finding /lib/modules/2.2.13.  Forgive me if noting this is
> redundant.

Yes -- what we do is in /etc/init.d/rcS is echo /bin/true >
/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe.  But before init runs, there is this
probing going on.  It's cosmetic... I dunno if there is anything we
can do.

> After dbootstrap starts and installation has progressed to "Install
> Operating System Kernel and Modules,"  I normally can just press enter
> through "Select Archive path" after selecting the CDROM on /dev/hdc.
> However, this time, dbootstrap returned "couldn't find
> disks-2880/rescue.bin" after pressing enter at "list: Choose from a list
> of all archive paths."  When I selected "manually: Enter the directory
> containing the archive files" and entered
> "dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current," it found the archive and
> proceeded.

Well, yeah, this is a problem I'd really like to fix for 2.2.2.  Where
is it getting disks-2880?  It should be 'disks-2.88'.  You can set the
'disksize' boot argument here which may help.

I could use help with dbootstrap hacking for the new dirnames.

> When I got to the phase where dbootstrap installs the base system, I had
> no problems when pressing enter at "list: Choose from a list of all
> archive paths"

> One note is that dbootstrap looks for disks-2880/rescue.bin, but the
> build generates disks-2.88/rescue.bin.

Same thing...

> After selecting boot from /dev/hda1 (where I installed Debian) by
> default, install an MBR, and "reboot the system," it hung with a message
> to the effect of "waiting to reboot".  Giving it the three finger salute
> restarted the system.  The system hung on start-up where the lilo prompt
> would have normally appeared.  I came up on a rescue disk and, aaaargh,
> the whole hard drive was swiped clean, partitions all gone and no
> installation to be found.  Man that's ugly.

Really ??  I've never seen this error.  I've installed stuff many many
times...

Try rebooting cleanly on tty2.... ?

> Just to be sure, I updated, built, and burned another CD.  Same thing.

I have no idea what htis problem is.. you're going to have to try to
track it down more.  I can't reproduce it, I don't think...