Re: Kernels for install and running system

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 01:59:51PM +0100, Nils Rennebarth wrote:

> 1) is independent of the kernel, only zImage vs bzImage is an issue, and if
>    both kernels are of the same type it won't matter
> 2) and 3) won't apply if the two kernels only differ in non hardware
>    specific options as:
>       process accounting, quota, ipc, sysctl, networking options, verbose
>       SCSI error reporting, SCSI logging, Magic SysRq key
>    I left out everything that could be modularized.
> 4) and 5) should be that same for install and runtime kernel.
>
> Did I leave out something important?

Yes, but what's the point of leaving out these "non hardware specific" things
for the bootdisk? If you're trying to get a zImage up there, then you'll still
hit the same hurdle when you boot an installed system.  And I don't think
doing this to save floppy disk space/memory make much sense since this
really won't give you very much.