Re: image file names (was Re: boot-floppies tasks)

Bruce Sass <bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> writes:

> It is probably just my ignorance about how dbootstrap works...
> but doesn't it know what system it is installing?

Um... it *should*.... For some things, such as sun4u, it dynamically
senses.  For safe, it doesn't matter.  For other i386 variants, it
needs to know somehow (for picking the right drivers disk or tarball)
-- in that case, syslinux should be set to add a boot arg, which
dbootstrap needs to be taught about.

> and if it does... why not just build the worst case path.
> So, if wants to find root.bin and is installing an i386, raid system
> that needs the safe option, from 1.44M floppies... it would build:
> 	disks-i386/raid/safe/disks-1.44/root.bin
> Now, lets say that the root.bin file is common to all i386 systems...
> (at this point I don't care if this reflects the reality of i386,
> it is a worst case example that could apply to any platform)
> I would expect dbootstrap, upon failing to find the file, to back up one
> directory and try again... and keep doing so until it found the file.
>
> i.e.,
> 	disks-i386/raid/safe/disks-1.44/root.bin
> 	disks-i386/raid/safe/root.bin
> 	disks-i386/raid/root.bin
> 	disks-i386/root.bin
>
> or, Adam, have I just repeated what you wrote (wrt fallback)?

Actually, I think I agree with you about eliminating the 'common'
directory.  That makes this test process much more elegant -- it still
needs to be coded, though).

Any opposing thoughts about that?