Re: Thoughts on the state of the boot-floppies

Petr Cech <cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 02:16:40AM -0700 , Erik Andersen wrote:
> > * mount reports /dev/root for the root device since /etc/fstab
> >     doesn't have an entry for the root device (/dev/ram1 for example).
>
> so?

Yeah -- I'm not sure what you're reporting here..

> > * There should probably be an /etc/nsswitch.conf file in /etc.
>
> yes

Waht should be in this file?  Just plop the thing into
scripts/rootdisk/prototype/etc ?  Go ahead and do that, anyone...

> > * /lib/libm.so.6 is 111k.  I didn't check who was using it,
> >     but if it is just one app it should be staticly linked.
> >     If several apps are using it, it should be passed through
> >     the library shrinking pass.
>
> on the rescue floppy propably nothing

Yikes!  I'll remove that and test it...

> > * We include both cfdisk (50k) and fdisk (85k).  Why not pick just one,
> >     or use sfdisk (included in busybox -- costs 34k).

> hmm. Discusion about this was IMHO also when releasing slink. cfdisk
> and fdisk are a bit different in functionality and error recovery

sfdisk is just a core, not an interface, AFAIK.

Further discussions of this should CC util-linux@packages.debian.org.

Also, remember this is platform sensitive.

> > * vi invokes lazybox feeding the nonexistent /etc/ae/ae2vi.rc
> >     which hoses the shell
> > * lazybox grep is obsolete -> use busybox.

All these fixed in CVS.

> > * lazybox mformat is a nop

> BTW why it is there in the first place?

Superformat expects this.  Yet we don't ship superformat.  Hurm!
Something is amiss here... Don't we need fdformat or superformat or
*something* to format floppies?  (i.e., to make custom boot disk).