Re: Thoughts on the state of the boot-floppies

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 02:16:40AM -0700 , Erik Andersen wrote:
> I ran soma basic tests on the boot floppies this evening,
> and here are some thoughts on what I saw:
>
> * booting rescue disk as "rescue" causes a kernel panic

with what root= ?

> * mount reports /dev/root for the root device since /etc/fstab
>     doesn't have an entry for the root device (/dev/ram1 for example).

so?

> * There should probably be an /etc/nsswitch.conf file in /etc.

yes

> * /lib/libm.so.6 is 111k.  I didn't check who was using it,
>     but if it is just one app it should be staticly linked.
>     If several apps are using it, it should be passed through
>     the library shrinking pass.

on the rescue floppy propably nothing

> * ash should have command editing via arrow keys.  I have a patch
>     to do this.  adds < .5k

propably

> * It would be really nice if ash command history were turned on.

It would. What about size increase. I thought I saw something about this on
-devel, with the result, that ash is not intended for interactive use ..

> * We include both cfdisk (50k) and fdisk (85k).  Why not pick just one,
>     or use sfdisk (included in busybox -- costs 34k).

hmm. Discusion about this was IMHO also when releasing slink. cfdisk and fdisk
are a bit different in functionality and error recovery

> * vi invokes lazybox feeding the nonexistent /etc/ae/ae2vi.rc
>     which hoses the shell

vi should die as pre discusion on -devel. I thought somebudy changed this
already.

> * lazybox grep is obsolete -> use busybox.

yes

> * lazybox mformat is a nop

BTW why it is there in the first place?

				Petr Cech