Re: Debian installer for Linuxcare rescue CD

Adam Di Carlo writes:

> Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> writes:
>
> > Does the installer inherently need access to anything except for what's in
> > the three files mentioned?
>
> Well, for potato, your file names are all wrong.  Now we have
> disks-2.88/rescue.bin, and you'd wanna probably use modules.tgz, not
> the disk image (split) copies.

I hear that the potato boot disks are still in something of a state of flux,
so I would prefer to use the slink-and-a-half installer (as being stable
and a known quantity) for this release, and have the next version install
potato.

> > If this works, the only thing we'd probably need to change is the modules
> > and kernel image in slink-and-a-half (because we're currently using
> > 2.2.13 and not MODVERSIONS).  I don't think that would be an insurmountable
> > problem.  In the worst case, we might even switch our own kernel image
> > and modules to be compatible with the slink-and-a-half installer's.
>
> Joey, um, does slink-and-a-half have a new boot-floppies burn as well?
> No one has brought up that issue to us...

It does -- I see Joey's name in the release notes there. :-)

> > Actually, I'm a bit confused about where the kernel image .deb comes from
> > during installation; it's not on the drivers disk, so is it somewhere
> > inside base2_1.tgz?  I am sure that further reading of dinstall sources
> > will clear this up, but I could use some pointers.
>
> It just copies it from linux on the rescue disk, unless I'm mistaken...

That's useful.  But doesn't a kernel-image .deb package get installed
somehow?

I printed out the source of dinstall from the boot-floppies package in
slink, and I'm going to start reading through it soon.  The only thing I
need to understand is what files need to be modified in order to use a
different kernel and different modules than the kernel and modules (2.2.12)
which were shipped in the slink-and-a-half installer.

(Again, this is a requirement because of the other constraints of our
rescue system, which make it necessary for us to have a mostly non-modular
kernel; and we chose to use 2.2.13 and no MODVERSIONS.  That makes the
modules in slink-and-a-half incompatible with our kernel, unfortunately.)

I would still be grateful for a little more information on how the
installer finds its kernel image and modules.  Do I understand correctly that
the kernel is just coming from /linux (or a mounted rescue disk's /linux),
and that the modules are just coming from the .tar.gz file inside
drv1440.bin?

     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/    | have leisure; for perhaps you will
     http://www.loyalty.org/   (CAF)    | not have leisure.  -- Pirke Avot 2:5