Re: Debian installer for Linuxcare rescue CD

Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> writes:

> Joey is right: we already have a working live bootable filesystem, which
> is the main purpose of our CD (for use as a rescue system).  That's not a
> Debian system, although we did use some things from Debian.  However, we
> wanted to add as a new feature the ability to install, from the CD, a
> regular Debian base system onto a hard drive.

Oh -- ok.  Well, I suggest that you merge these.  You could make a
little bootable live system which could just replicate itself onto
your drive (then you run lilo or whatever to add an MBR).  Such a
system could be considered as "base plus" -- that is, the base system
plus whatever arbitrary stuff you wanted to add.

Or you can just have your little live filesystem, plus you could just
untar base2_2.tgz onto a disk partition, and then frob the MBR, etc.,
and get at it that way...

> The main thing that would be different on the floppies would be an unusual
> version of init (which has to locate and mount the CD-ROM).  El Torito
> doesn't tell you the device name of the CD-ROM drive. :-(

That's interesting.  Can you show us your code you use for this?

'init' on the boot-floppies is provided by busybox.  We might be
interested in "borrowing" this feature.  The benefit is just that the
CD boot device name is passed thru to init, correct, which then passes
it down to something in /etc/init.d/rcS or whatever that cares about
that and takes action, right?

Thanks for your answers to my general questions...